Monday, May 18, 2015

Failure, A Saving Grace.

Across the Tracks - Salt Lake City - 2015
The amazing street art outside my building. I just love street art!
Guess who got herself something of a dream internship. The chances of you (reader) guessing the right person are fairly high, but I'll give it up anyway. I did! I am now copywriting intern at Write On Network. I absolutely love it. The work is challenging and, therefore, that much more rewarding. There is a wide variety of clientele allowing me to gain just the sort of experience I was hoping for. My bosses are also the kindest most helpful women who also have great style, which I think is important. We work in a super creative space that's a restored warehouse. There are several different companies who share the general space and each of us have our own little work area. So many creative minds in one place is intoxicating. My boss also offers me snacks and beverages every day which was a huge thing for me.
My desk.
"Easy reading is damn hard writing" - Nathaniel Hawthorne 
If it wasn't obvious by my description how happy I am to be pursuing my writing career, well then maybe reread that last paragraph because it doesn't get more descriptive than that, for me at least.
We call it 'The Pickle' and rightly so.
In the end it was failure that saved me. It still shocks me that had I not experienced one of my greatest fears, I would not be in this amazing place I am now. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young once said, "We never failed to fail, it was the easiest thing to do." And while failure can sometimes be easy (I mostly think it comes from a lack of trying mixed with just the right amount of carelessness), it can also be earth shattering. However, in the cheesiest way possible, sometimes what you need the most is your earth shattered to make you realize just what path you truly want to take. When every possible path seems equally difficult to achieve, its far easier to decide which one you actually would put all your effort into.
Some books I've recently finished, in the process of reading, or intend to read soon.
Spend your money on what you love my friends.

If you'd like to read the interview about me on Write On Network's blog, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment