Sunday, July 26, 2015

Chicago Coming in Hot and Humid

Last weekend I took a trip to Chicago and guess what my new favorite city is, yes it's Chicago! The people are so great, the food is delicious and the buildings are in abundance. Also maybe I'm an idiot or maybe I'm from the west and no one tells you small aspects of cities further away, but Chicago has a beach! Like wait best all around city in the world.
The first night I got there I took the cta to my hotel and now looking back I realize how unnecessary my fear of finding my hotel was because this is the real world and there are smart phones and people to ask for directions. So I found it (obviously) and it was amazing!
Chicago Harbor
On Friday I went to the Art Institute of Chicago and it was really hot and humid, but absolutely beautiful out. The museum was amazing, filled with masterpieces abound.
Joan Mitchell, City Landscape
Claude Monet, Water Lilies
I had a chicago dog for lunch which was just so dang good. Even though by this time I felt like a local (in other words, not needing my maps very often), I found I was totally not a local because I should have gotten the Italian beef. You live and you learn.
That night I tried Lou Malnati's, a highly recommended pizza restaurant and while I was waiting for my order I chatted with this great group of people also waiting to be seated. Firstly they had some serious rims on their car. Secondly their 4 year old Jason was one hell of a guy. The dad started talking to me about Utah Jazz players and I tried to act like I knew what he was talking about because I wanted to look cool, of course. Anyway this story goes to further exemplify how great the people are there, if you couldn't tell.
Saturday I spent roaming the city with local legend and tour guide Ben Hannon. Its just the best city to walk around in. I looked up and saw the Willis Tower from the ground because the line was 45 hours long to go to the top, but it looked pretty tall. Instead we went to the Hancock building and got the 360 view on top which was super cool. Not only did I see several roof top pools, but also the beach!! Really I am still so shocked and thrilled there's a beach in Chicago.
Tour guide Ben
That is one tall ass building
My girl Natalie Sweeney drove down for Saturday night and we enjoyed the hotel's complementary wine hour that preceded an awesome pizza dinner and more wine. Best friends catching up, how can that not be fun? When we returned from dinner, Ben and his friends met up with us at the hotel for drinks on the roof then going out to the bars. I can't speak for all of them, but I had such a great time.
I have deemed Chicago the greatest city in the U.S. and well if you go there I'm positive you'll feel the same. The culture is live with art, music and food and really who doesn't love all of those things immensely? I dream of living there as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment